The 22nd annual Letters About Literature contest, a national reading and writing competition for students sponsored by the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress in association with its affiliate state centers, is now accepting entries. To enter, fourth through 12th grade students write personal letters to living or dead authors from any genre explaining how what the students read changed their views of the world or themselves.
Students may enter on their own or through their schools or local libraries in three levels: Level 1 for grades 4– 6, Level 2 for grades 7 – 8 and Level 3 for grades 9 – 12. Louisiana’s first place winners’ entries will be submitted to the Library of Congress for the national competition with the chance of winning up to $1,000.
> Louisiana winners will receive $100 for first place, $75 for second place and $50 for third place, made possible by a Library of Congress grant. State winners will be recognized at next year’s Louisiana Book Festival.
> The student’s letter and entry coupon, available online, must be sent to Letters About Literature, P.O. Box 5308, Woodbridge, VA 22194. The postmark deadline for Level 3 is Dec. 15, 2014; for Levels 1 and 2, the deadline is Jan. 15, 2015. The entry forms and information may be downloaded at www.read.gov/letters.
One Team, One Goal, No Limits
One Team, One Goal, No Limits!
- Raiderette Clinic is this week. Girls will perform Friday night.
- Voting for Homecoming Court will take place Friday morning in homeroom. Girls, check the rosters in the hallways to make sure your name is on the roster prior to Friday.
- FREE Math Tutoring is available with Mr. Karl Mann on the following days:
Mon. 6th & 7th grade 3:15-4:15
Tues. High School 3:15-4:15
Thurs. 8th grade 3:15-4:15
- Get your spirit shirts for $10.00. You can wear them on Fridays!
- All Pine 4-H members --fair entries must be turned in to Ms. Kim Magee in room 506 by MONDAY, OCTOBER 6.If you would like information on driver's education classes please come by the office between classes or at recess.
- Jr High Football boys and basketball girls, sell those tickets on the TV or $200.00. Deadline is Monday Oct. 20.
- Miranda Jenkins is running for Rodeo Queen; she will be selling advance rodeo tickets. Adults $12.00
- See you at the Pole is Sept. 24 at 7:20 a.m. on the football field.
- Attention Robotics club members: If you want to run for an office, you need to sign up by Wednesday. If you want to submit a t-shirt design, you must do so by Wednesday. Robotics club will meet during IB4E Friday to vote on these and begin preparing for competition.
- High School Cheerleaders, practice will be held on Wed. and Thurs.
- High School Student Council go by Mrs. Kelly's room and pick up tailgate information.
- The volleyball team will be playing at home against Albany Tuesday at 4:00.
- The Forestry Team will be competing Wednesday.
- The Jr. High RAIDERS will be playing at Mt. Hermon Thursday. 7th grade at 5:30 and 8th grade at 6:00.
- The RAIDERS will be in action against Hannan Friday night at Home. This will be our first District game. This game will be a White Out.
- The Jr. High Homecoming dance will be Saturday night. The dance will be from 6-9 and the cost is $10.00. This is a semi-formal dance- NO BLUE JEANS. Boys you must wear dress pants, your uniform pants are fine. Girls dresses must come just above the knee, girls in short dresses wil be sent home.
PPT, Word, Excel Viewers [Go
Local & World News
LUNCH MENU : Week of Sept. 22-26
MON.-CHICKEN TENDERS OR PIZZA OR SALAD
TUES.-SPAGHETTI OR PIZZA OR SALAD
WED.-BBQ CHICKEN OR PIZZA OR SALAD
THURS.-VEGETABLE SOUP OR PIZZA OR SALAD
FRI-SALISBURY STEAK OR PIZZA OR SALAD
September Star Students
Austin Thomas, Morgan Crain, Timesha Brumfield, Avery Sheridan
Kaden Fersch, Anna Branch, Kaylin Ginn, Tess Calliouet, Jonathan Shelby, Randall Foster
WPSS MOBILE APP
PARENTS & STUDENTS, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE SCHOOL CONNECT APP ON YOUR PHONE TO KEEP CONNECTED WITH OUR SCHOOL AND PARISH. This app will send push notifications to keep you informed about a variety of school events, from important announcements to school sports scores. This is a great way to stay connected! Click below to download.
Apple Download Setup (click here)
Subscribing to Push Messages (click here)
Email/Text Alerts (click here)
PPT, Word, Excel Viewers [Go
Acrobat Reader [Go